Distinguished Chapter Award
A “Distinguished Chapter” award recognizes those chapters that are striving to represent the SAR in a positive fashion within their communities and to give all chapters something to shoot for. Each chapter who meets eleven specified criteria will receive an “INSSAR Distinguished Chapter 2014/2015” streamer for their chapter flag at the INSSAR Annual Meeting on April 20th of 2015. I have established criteria which I believe every chapter could accomplish and I am hopeful that the Medals and Awards Committee will continue this award after this year. The awards criteria for this year are:
- Chapter must have at least one representative (primary dues paying member of the chapter, not a dual member) present at two of the four INSSAR meetings (3 HOD’s & INSSAR Annual Meeting).
- Chapter must have elected Officers and must submit their names and positions to the INSSAR Secretary with a telephonic and email contact for the chapter (email contact can be any Chapter Officer).
- Chapter must submit their dues and Chapter Reconciliation Report to the INSSAR Secretary by December 31, 2014.
- Chapter must present at least one Flag Certificate and report the presentation to the INSSAR Flag Committee Chairman.
- Chapter must submit at least one New Member application (Regular or Junior Member) which is accepted by the INSSAR Registrar and forwarded to NSSAR for review and approval.
- Chapter must submit an Americanism Scoring Sheet to the INSSAR Historian by January 15, 2015. Scoring sheet on SAR website
- Chapter must make a donation of any amount to the NSSAR Center for Advancing America’s Heritage.
- Chapter must hold at least two Chapter meetings and print at least one Chapter Newsletter, a copy of which must be submitted to the INSSAR Historian (Newsletter may be distributed to members by email or regular mail). Chapter must present photos, Newspaper Articles, or other documentation regarding Chapter Activities to the INSSAR Historian for use in the State Scrapbook and Hoosier Patriot Quarterly Newsletter.
- Chapter must participate in a least one Community event (i.e.: Parade, Grave Marking, Flag Certificate presentation, Naturalization Ceremony, School Event, Battle Commemoration, etc.).
- Chapter must have at least one liaison with the DAR and/or the CAR (i.e.: Parade, Grave Marking, Joint Meeting, etc).
The completion of the above criteria must be reported to the INSSAR President and Secretary and verified by the INSSAR Historian as applicable by March 20, 2015. Every chapter meeting the criteria will receive a streamer for their flag. I am hopeful that all of our Indiana Chapters will attempt to meet the criteria and obtain this award. I hope to present a streamer to a representative of your chapter at the INSSAR Annual Meeting at the end of my term.
William Sharp, President
Indiana Society SAR